Benchmarking the strength of Rydon’s Construction Division talent pool against the LIVED® leadership framework
Industry Sector: Construction
With a view to succession planning, the Managing Director of Rydon’s Construction Division and senior colleagues commissioned a&dc to design and facilitate a rigorous, objective assessment and development centre process to give the Board a clear sense of the bench-strength of the current talent pool. Specifically the project aimed to:
- Design a cost-effective assessment solution that will support the development of middle managers building on in-house 1-1 exploration of career motivation and early thoughts re-development priorities.
- Benchmark these managers against a&dc’s LIVED® model using a mix of psychometric and behavioural assessment methodologies which have also been mapped against Rydon’s leadership competencies.
- Provide an evidence based platform for the design and facilitation of individual and / or group development programmes.
- Scoping to understand the business context
- Engagement call
- Complete online tools
We worked with Rydon to understand their business context including market, strategy, culture and leadership role requirements. This provided the background of how LIVED would be applied for maximum success and allowed us to determine the right benchmark.
We liaised directly with participants to ensure they are suitably prepared for the process, arranging for them to complete the online psychometric assessments (Wave® Professional Styles Questionnaire, The Smart Aptitude® Series and the LIVED 360™ feedback questionnaire.
2. Assessment day
- Business simulations
- Deep dive interview incorporating tools
The assessment day began with a two and a half hour deep dive interview which explored the participant’s career history, aspirations and motivations, and determined their strengths and development needs. During this session, managers gained a full understanding of their psychometric profiles.
In the afternoon they participated in a two and a half hour business simulation / presentation exercise, conducted face-to-face.
3. Post assessment
- Write report
- 1-1 coaching feedback and/or stakeholder discussion
Upon completion of the assessment day our Consultant Psychologist created a comprehensive LIVED leadership assessment and development report.
This was then shared with participants during a 1-1 coaching feedback session for development purposes.
This was then followed up by 1-1 conversations with an HR business partner and the group MD.
- 57% of participants felt they were now ‘completely aware’ of their strengths and development needs and 43% were ‘mostly aware’
- 77% participants judged the quality of the feedback and report as being good or excellent
- One participant was quickly promoted and a second is being prepared for promotion with coaching support and participation in a flagship leadership development programme
- The assessment provided the ‘right level of challenge’ for 71% of participants
What the Client says
“Very professional and tailored service in support of a planned development centre for talent and succession planning. Input, ongoing communication and identified development planning all exceptional; our a&dc consultant did a superb job! I am exceptionally pleased with your role and outputs.” Lisa Fitzsimons, Group HR Director, Rydon Group